Isabel Shestopal, Norway
New York, Brooklyn
New Media design studio, Volvox Labs
1 year internship
- Have extra money savings for a rainy day, or just to feel more secure.
- Keep tight contact with your loved ones at home. The time schedule is completely upside down, but don’t underestimate putting some time off in the mornings before work to call and text the people who love you.
- Fail fast and fail hard. It is tough when it happens, but it really is the best way to learn!
- Say more yes than no. There are so many things that you might not get to experience later, so sometimes sleep will have to back down for great experiences.
- Join a club! Whatever your passion is there is always a free or paid club that you can join. It is social and fun.
How did you find housing and how much does it cost?
I was very specific on where I wanted to live, because I did not want to commute to work. I found housing in advance, through another student who had done the same program as me a year before. Unfortunately I couldn’t stay there for very long, but I found a great place on Craigslist. Though I know there are a lot of good Facebook groups to find housing. New York is the third most expensive city to rent, so the prices are a bit crazy. My rent is 1250, plus utilities like wifi.
Want to know more about her internship working experience in Brooklyn OR tips for the internship applying process.