Find out to see if you are eligible
for an Internship in the US
Criteria for J1-visa
Additional criteria for graduates
It is possible to apply for an internship also when you graduated more than 12 months ago. A few extra requirements apply and it is referred to as traineeship instead of internship, but it is the same type of visa.
Restrictions that applies to your internship placement
You will only be given a J1-visa if your internship require a special skill. This means that certain theoretical knowledge is needed to perform your duties in a successful way. An internship involving unskilled tasks such as being a bartender, receptionist, clerk or cashier will most likely not be approved.
Types of work that will not be approved on a J-1 visa
- Au-pair work, maid work or other domestic work like child care.
- Scout leader, Camp director.
- Medicine/nursing or other fields that involves therapy, counselling, nursing or diagnosis of medical, psychiatric or psychological nature.
- Pharmacy related work.
- Veterinary or animal keeper.
- Pilot or crew member on a boat or plane.
- Teachers or trainers.
- Temporary work or consultancy work.